Obinna Makata was born on March 31, 1981 in Enugu, Nigeria.
He graduated in 2007 with a Second Class Upper Degree from the University of Nigeria Nsukka, with a major in Sculpture.
Makata is a full time studio artist in Lagos. Inspired by everyday life and the ever-changing culture of his environment, Makata utilises found material / waste in his work to address the issues of consumerism and materialism that have infiltrated the fabric of society. With these mundane found materials, his work confronts history, race, modernity, culture, and social values as they relate to not just all of Africa today, but specifically in Lagos, where the lines that differentiate these themes is fading. Makata captures the flux of a city creating a new culture and new way of life.
Makata's series of collage works done on paper and canvas with Ankara fabric (an African textile) have proved especially popular. Makata began exploring the use of fabric after discovering scraps left behind in the trash of his neighbor who works as a tailor. Since then textiles have featured predominately in Makata's work. Combining ink, acrylic and scraps of textile, Makata creates narratives associated with common aspects of daily life, including history, socio-cultural issues, modern relationships, and the crowed urban environment as they relate to modern-day Africa. He describe these collages as “broken pieces of African culture,” and views them as a response to the omnipresent foreign influence continuing to threaten the traditional value system and artistic processes unique to the continent.
Makata has participated in residencies, workshops, seminars, art talks, art fairs, auctions, and over twenty-five group shows since 2007.
- 2012 Meta History African Artist Foundation Nigeria, Lagos, Nigeria
- 2013: Mediation. Uche Uzoka and Makata Obinna. Gallery 23 Amsterdam, Nederland.
- 2016 Breaking News, Art 21, Lagos, Nigeria
- 2015 Platform, Art 21, Lagos, Nigeria
- 2014 We are Love, African Artist Foundation, Lagos, Nigeria
- 2014 New Conversations Thought Pyramid Art Centre, Abuja, Nigeria
- 2014 Imago mudi, Nigeria/Root Contemporary Artists, Nigeria.
- 2013 The Mega City and Non City, Lagos Photos 2013, Ocean View Eko Hotel and Suites, Lagos Nigeria
- 2013 Blank Canvas, Art 21, Lagos, Nigeria
- 2013 The Mater, New Contemporary, African Artists Foundation, Lagos, Nigeria
- 2013 Joburg Art Fair, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- 2012 Nigeria Now, New Emerging Trend of Contemporary Art in Nigeria, Miami, USA
- 2009 Blossom, Yaradua Centre, Abuja, Nigeria
- 2007 Africa Heritage, Pendulum Art Gallery, Lagos Nigeria
- 2006 Away but not gone, Ana Gallery Department of Fine and Applied Art, Nsukka, Nigeria
- 2005 Dreams Alives3: New Art Theater, University of Nigeria Nsuuka, Nsukka, Nigeria
- 2004 Image of Africa, Kambani Art, Alliance Francaise, Enugu, Nigeria
- 2003 Enhancing Our Image, Alliance Francaise, Enugu, Nigeria
- 2003 Hakuna Matata, Alliance Francaise, Enugu, Nigeria
- 2003 The Stride, National Museum, Enugu, Nigeria
- 2013/2014 African Artists Foundation, Lagos Nigeria
- 2012 Thought Pyramid Art Centre Abuja, Nigeria